Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It all began 10 years ago...

I can't believe it's been that long. 10 years ago, I became really interested in transitioning to natural. I had been relaxed as long as I can remember. To be exact since I was 4 years old. I remember the day it happened. I was staying with my aunt and she was retouching her roots. She asked me if I wanted her to relax my hair. She went on to explain that I would no longer have to endure those long hours next to the kitchen stove inhaling the scent of singed hair in the hot comb. That no longer would i have to deal with the comb snagging on my napps almost causing me whiplash. I couldn't understand why my own mother never suggested this before. I remember politely saying, "yes please," and so it began. I also remember all of the drama that ensued afterward when my mother found out, but that's another post all together LOL. Many years passed and I continued to be a slave to that creamy crack. Luckily, we always had healthy hair practices and I never really suffered from breakage or dryness. Overall, my hair always remained healthy. I just got bored with it. I loved the versatility and the bigness of natural hair. How free the women looked... I ended up doing a few mini chops and wearing cute short styles for about a year and a half. My last cut ended up being shaved all around with about 1 inch at the top and maybe a 3 inch bang. My hair grows fast, so this style had me in the shop constantly and I would even have my nape touched up every 2 weeks due to the kinkiness of my texture. I finally decided that I was done and I would transition from there. Thus beginning my napptural journey.

No comments: