Friday, October 22, 2010

My First Henna Treatment Pt. 1

I've been wanting to try Henna for a while now. Not to mention, the muted brown color of my hair has become quite boring to me. I'm hoping the Henna will both give me the strength I'm looking for, and enough of a color change to satisfy the "color bug" that has hit me. After researching for a while now, I picked up a couple of boxes of Henna from a local Mediterranean store and got to mixing.


200gm HENNA
1 cup rose water infused with 3 green tea bags for 15 min
1/4 cup coconut cream
1T extra virgin olive oil
1T Castor Oil
1T raw honey
3T Cocoa powder (I wanted 4 T,but this was all I had
½-1 cup distilled water (add a little at a time as needed to make a consistency like cake batter)

I mixed this up and let sit overnight. Right before use, I mixed together:
1 egg
2T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup  plain Greek yogurt 
2T ground cinnamon
1T ground clove
and added this to my Henna mixture.  These natural ingredients not only condition, but help with the application and rinsing processes. The clove and cinnamon add both fragrance and help with color take. 


There is no rhyme or reason why I mixed the other ingredients in separate other than my mixture seemed a bit too thick still, and i forgot the yogurt the night before. The cinnamon was a thought after mixing it up last night, so since I needed to make some additions anyway it joined the party too.

I washed my hair with my African black soap shampoo, separated into 6 sections and detangled with Suave coconut condish, followed with Aussie 3 min and braided each section. Applied my turbie towel (love this thing) and went to sleep. My hair was still slightly damp in the am and ready for my Henna experiment.

Henna dye release after 18 hours.
Here's what my Henna looked like before I remembered to add the yogurt concoction.


No comments: